Sunday, February 6, 2011

Homemade Oreo Cookies

This one goes way back to high school. I have my friend Trish to thank for this one. I do enjoy this as is, but I've also made a couple of other versions, using this cookie as the base. It's tasty with layers of mint and chocolate frosting, or with pecan coconut frosting to make German chocolate cookies. (See the chocolate mint brownie recipe for mint frosting. I'll post the pecan coconut frosting recipe later.) Other combinations would also be great I'm sure. Peanut butter frosting sounds good, too. I might have to try that one next.

Homemade Oreo Cookies

1 Devil's Food cake mix (generic brands work best for these cookies
2/3 c. shortening
2 eggs

Combine above ingredients. (Dough will be thick.) Roll into balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. (Cookies should still look slightly wet inside, but will set after being removed from the oven.) Allow to sit on hot cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before removing to cooling racks.

Frosting:

2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
1-2 Tbsp. evaporated milk

Combine ingredients. If needed, add a little more powdered sugar or milk to get to frosting consistency. Frost one cookie and use a second cookie to make a sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. Peanut butter filling is definitely worth trying! I just use the same filling that goes in my peanut butter brownies.

    ReplyDelete