Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bread Machine Dinner Rolls

You can make these without a bread machine; just mix the ingredients together yourself. But I love this recipe because I can put all the ingredients in the bread maker, set the timer, and have the dough ready for me when I get home from church or wherever. (I know, I'm probably one of the few people who still own a bread machine. I pretty much never use it for baking bread, but it's very convenient for making dough.) These rolls are light and airy. I got this recipe years ago from someone at church.

Bread Machine Dinner Rolls

Put the following ingredients in the bread machine first:

2 1/2 Tbsp. softened butter
1 egg yolk - room temperature (you don't need the white for this recipe)
1/2 c. dry milk
1/6 c. sugar (Yes, just 1/6. I just eyeball it to fill my 1/3 measuring cup half full)
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. warm water

Next, put 3 cups of bread flour over the liquid ingredients. Poke a small hole in the center of the flour, and put 1 envelope (or 1 Tbsp.) dry yeast in the hole.

Set your machine on dough cycle, and start.

I don't usually worry about this next step, since I'm not usually there when the dough starts mixing. But the recipe says to open the top of the machine 5 minutes after it starts. If there is still flour in the corners of the machine, add 1 Tbsp. water, and scrape the flour with a spatula. Can repeat if necessary. If it seems too watery, you can add flour 1 Tbsp. at a time instead. (Once again, I almost never do this, and they turn out fine for me.)

When the dough cycle is done, empty the machine onto a lightly floured surface. (A rubber spatula helps loosen the dough from the machine.) Gently punch the dough down. Divide into 12 pieces. Roll each of them into a ball, and place in a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Let rise about 1 1/2 hours. (See my recipe for Speedy Rolls to see how to speed up this part of the process.) I cover them with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray while they rise. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350, until just lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment