Saturday, February 5, 2011

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

One of our friends named Wendy (we have several) was nice enough to share this recipe with me. She served it to us last year, and it's become one of my favorites. Not the healthiest of soups, but it sure tastes good! It serves 16 as written, so I usually cut it in half. Also, I often just buy a rotisserie chicken and chop it up instead of cooking chicken myself. Quick and easy. I've also once had one very similar that added bacon. It was tasty, but I also like it with out, and since it's already not very healthy, I make it without. My friend Nicole recently requested this from me, so here's an easy way to share it with her and anyone else who would like it:

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

16 servings

8 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
4 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded (can use more chicken than this)
2 (4.5 ounce) packages quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet (such as Rice-a Roni)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. butter
4 cups heavy cream (I often just use regular cream not heavy)

In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water, and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and reduce heat to low.

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened (5 minutes).

Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, at least 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment