Sunday, February 6, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

This is a pretty typical banana bread, but has a tasty twist. It has a crispy, sugary, cinnamon topping that makes it so good. In order to make the topping turn out right, it only works in a bundt or angel food pan. I tried loaf pans, and it just wasn't the same.

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

Bread:
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
4 Tbsp. sour cream
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. bananas, mashed (about 2 large bananas)

Topping:
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. nuts, chopped (optional)

The recipe said to line an angel food cake pan with waxed paper and grease well. I use a bundt pan because I don't have an angel food cake pan, and I had trouble getting the waxed paper to work. So I spray the pan really well with Pam With Flour. (Upon further reflection after baking it with the waxed paper once...DON'T do it. Just really grease the pan thoroughly. There's a chance a little of the topping will stick to the pan, but when I used waxed paper, the topping didn't bake through correctly, and there was no crunchy goodness on the top of the cake--and that's the best part.)

Cream the sugar, butter, and eggs. Combine baking soda and sour cream; stir into butter and sugar mixture. Add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well. Stir in vanilla and bananas. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Combine topping ingredients. (I keep the chocolate chips separate and sprinkle them on separately; I find I can control how well they are spread out that way.) Sprinkle half the topping over the batter in the pan. Pour the remaining batter into the pan and sprinkle with remaining topping. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes. (About 55 minutes has usually been about right for me.) Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean. Cool before removing from the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment