Friday, June 22, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake

This. Is. So. Good. Chocolate and peanut butter are one of those made in heaven combinations. If you're not a peanut butter fan, you'll want to move on from this one. But if you like peanut butter and chocolate, TRY THIS! You won't be disappointed.

Last Christmas, my cousin Julie gave me a little recipe book that was sold as a fund-raiser for the Jordan High School girls' soccer team. I just recently got around to trying this recipe from that book, and I shouldn't have waited so long! It is definitely a new favorite! I have tried many "from scratch" chocolate cake recipes, and this is by far the best I've tried. Keep in mind, I like dense, not dry cake. (I'm not allowed to use the "m" word; my husband doesn't like it. But hopefully you know what I mean by "not dry".) If you like super light, fluffy cake, this might be a little dense for you. You can always substitute your favorite chocolate cake recipe and use it with the frosting below.

Here you go; your new favorite dessert recipe!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake

1 cup water
1 cup butter (Yes, a whole cup. And more in the frosting. I didn't say this was good for you...)
6 T. cocoa
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
Peanut butter cups, chopped

In a small saucepan bring water, butter, and cocoa to a low boil. Remove from heat. In a large bowl combine the flour, soda, and salt. Pour the sugar on top of the flour mixture. Pour the boiling mixture on top of the sugar. (This creates a fudge like reaction as the two combine.) Add eggs and sour cream and mix until combined. Mixture will be thin.

Grease a 9x13 pan or grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 325 degrees: 35-40 minutes for 9x13 or 25-30 minutes for round cake pans.

This cake is not as good if baked too long. Start with the shortest time, and increase only if needed. When it looks almost done, tap lightly with two fingers. It should slightly dent in and barely spring back. If not, bake a few minutes longer.

Frosting:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 T. milk or cream
1 tsp. vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar (I used about 3)

Cream together butter, peanut butter, milk or cream, and vanilla. Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.

I actually added a layer of chocolate frosting (I just used Betty Crocker) on top of the cake, before adding the peanut butter frosting on top. If I made it with round pans, I would tort the cake and alternate chocolate and peanut butter frostings between layers. Top the peanut butter frosting with the chopped peanut butter cups.

If you frost it warm, the frosting will melt and start to separate. It does taste really good warm, though. My suggestion is to let it cool before frosting, but warm it up just a little in the microwave before eating. Mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment