Friday, June 22, 2012

Monkey Bread (or Caramel Rolls)

I'd heard about "monkey bread", but hadn't tried making it until last year. Bread is one of my weaknesses (no carb-free diets for me!), and I LOVE cinnamon rolls (or anything similar). These are really tasty, and are like a really sticky cinnamon roll. Because you do most of the prep the night before, they're a quick and easy way to have a yummy breakfast without getting up at the crack of dawn to allow time for rising.

I have seen recipes for monkey bread online that call for refrigerated biscuit dough, but I like this version, which uses frozen roll dough. There are many other variations on this recipe out there, but I got this version of the recipe from my friend Barb. She calls them Caramel Rolls. Sounds a little more appetizing than Monkey Bread, but whatever you call it, it's delicious!

I'm usually against nuts in my baked goods...I like most nuts, but I don't like something crunchy in the middle of my breads, brownies, etc. I think this recipe is the first exception I've found. I tried it with the pecans, and actually preferred it that way.

On to the recipe:

Monkey Bread (or Caramel Rolls)

22-24 Frozen Rolls (such as Rhodes)
1 small box cook and serve (not instant) butterscotch pudding
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans-optional

In a greased bundt pan, layer pecans, rolls, then the dry pudding mix. (This might not seem like enough rolls, but DON'T add more; it will rise too high.) Melt butter and sugar together; poor over rolls. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Let rise over night in a cold oven (about 8 hours). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a plate. Cut into slices and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment