Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon rolls have always been a weakness of mine. They are one of my favorite treats. One that can even be considered breakfast once in awhile (although of course not a very healthy one). Cinnamon rolls are infinitely better when baked fresh, and eaten warm out of the oven. This necessitated learning to make them fresh at home.

There are at least hundreds of cinnamon roll recipes out there. Just google it...you'll see. I have tried a few different recipes, and actually have a few more I would like to try. For now, this is the recipe I use most often, for a few different reasons. First of all, this recipe is quick. It only requires one rise, which cuts the time in half compared with many of the recipes out there. After all, I don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn to make them for breakfast. Also, while these are definitely not healthy, they don't have as much butter, etc. as some of the recipes I've seen out there. So I feel a little better about eating them, yet they still taste great! It also gives the option of using part or all wheat flour. I'll admit, I've always used white for these, but maybe one day I'll add some wheat to make them a little better for me.

This particular recipe makes about 2 dozen, so I usually cut it in half.

Cinnamon Rolls

4 eggs (Room temp. I just stick the whole eggs in warm water for a few minutes if they're cold.)
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. warm water
2/3 c. powdered milk
7-8 c. flour (white, wheat, or a combination)
2 T. yeast
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. cinnamon
Raisins, nuts, chocolate chips - optional. I don't add any of them, but if you like soggy raisins in your baked goods, be my guest :)

Cream together sugar, shortening, eggs, and salt. Add warm water, powdered milk, and 3-4 cups flour. Blend in yeast and then additional flour to make a soft dough. Knead lightly with a dough hook or in a bowl. Let rise 1 hour and then roll out to about 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Spread with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Add raisins, nuts, or chocolate chips if desired. Roll up, starting from a long side, and cut into about 1 1/2 inch pieces. (I prefer to use thread to cut them.) Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool about 10 minutes and glaze.

Glaze:
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
milk to make spreadable

Combine sugar, butter, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Gradually add milk until glaze reaches desired consistency.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment