Monday, March 21, 2011

Tuxedo Brownie Cups

Someone recently commented on my mini-muffin pan. They thought it was really cute, but wondered what I use it for. I have a few things I make with the pan, including the mini-quiche and peanut butter cup cookies that are both on this blog. This recipe is another great use for my mini-muffin pan. I recently made these for the first time in quite awhile, and I'd forgotten how much I like them. These take a little time, but they're pretty simple, and look just a little fancy. (I can't say I use the word fancy very often, but no other word seemed to fit just then.) This is actually a Pampered Chef recipe, introduced to me by a friend at work.

Tuxedo Brownie Cups

1 package (19-21 oz.) fudge brownie mix AND ingredients to make cake-like brownies (I am typically a fan of fudge-like brownies, but I've tried both, and these are definitely easier to work with if you follow the directions and make the cake-like recipe)
2 squares (1 oz. each) white chocolate for baking
2 Tbsp. milk
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened (I use 1/3 less fat, and they still taste great)
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 c. frozen whipped topping, thawed (The last time I made these I used real whipped cream because that's what I had, and I think I liked it even better, but either works)
1 pint small strawberries, sliced Orange zest, mint leaves, and/or melted chocolate (Optional. I use melted chocolate.)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray cups of mini-muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray for baking (Pam with flour). You can also use mini-muffin cups if you prefer. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. (My small cookie scoop is the perfect size for scooping up the batter.) Bake 14 minutes or until edges are set. Do not over bake.

2. Remove pan to cooling rack. (Or the top of your stove, like I do. I have to make a confession; I don't own cooling racks. It's a little ridiculous, I should probably buy one, but for now, I just go without.) Immediately press tops of brownies to make indentations. (A rounded teaspoon works well for this.) Cool in pan 15 minutes. Loosen edges and gently remove brownies from pan. Cool completely. Wash pan, spray again with cooking spray, and repeat baking with remaining batter.

3. Microwave white chocolate and milk in the microwave, uncovered, on high 1 minute; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar; mix well. Gradually stir in white chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold in whipped topping (or whipped cream).

4. Pipe cream cheese mixture into cooled brownie cups. Slice strawberries thinly, and arrange on top of filled brownie cups. Garnish with orange zest and mint leaves or drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired. Place in airtight container and refrigerate 1-3 hours before serving. Makes 4 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment