Saturday, February 23, 2013

Fudge

I haven't listed any of my Christmas candy recipes on here yet, and I get asked for these quite a bit, so I thought it was about time to add them. Fair warning: these are definitely treats, and are NOT at all healthy. It's a good thing I only make them one month out of the year.

This is the fudge recipe my mom has used for years, and I grew up with this fudge. It was a must every year at Christmas time.

I know there are fudge "purists", who make fudge without marshmallows of any kind, use a candy thermometer, and beat the fudge on a slab after it cooks. If that's the only kind of fudge you'll eat, this one isn't for you. If you want a quick and easy fudge recipe, then you've come to the right place. I know there are a ton of fudge recipes out there, but I've had a few people tell me this is their favorite fudge, so you might just want to try it!

Fudge

4 1/2 c. sugar (this has the most sugar of any of my candy recipes by far)
1 cube butter
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 12 oz. packages semi-sweet chocolate chips (My husband prefers milk, so I usually make some both ways. Overall, I prefer milk chocolate to dark, but this recipe is plenty sweet already in my opinion. It doesn't taste quite "chocolatey" enough for me with milk, so I prefer the semi-sweet.)
1 7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
Chopped nuts, if desired (I don't like nuts in my fudge, but my mom loves it with walnuts)

Bring sugar, butter, and evaporated milk to a boil over medium-high heat while stirring constantly. Once boiling, reduce heat heat to medium and cook 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and marshmallow cream. Blend well. (Your arms get a bit of a workout here. Also, getting the marshmallow cream out of its jar is the hardest part of this recipe.) Add nuts if desired. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan and let set before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment