Friday, February 11, 2011

Pumpkin Bars

Yummy pumpkin cake bars with delicious cream cheese frosting. My sister Mary Ann first introduced me to pumpkin bars, and they've become a favorite of mine. I like my sister-in-law Heather's theory that I can count it as healthy if dessert has a fruit or vegetable in it. That makes me feel better about eating these tasty things. These are actually good even substituting applesauce for half of the oil. (From the Ivory Favorites cookbook.)

Pumpkin Bars

4 eggs
1 2/3 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves

Beat eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together dry ingredients, and add to pumpkin mixture. Spread in greased jellyroll pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool before frosting.

Frosting:

8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. softened butter (I sometimes reduce the butter by a little bit.)
2 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar

Cream together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment